Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A few things you might want to know about me.

I was born and raised in the little town of Milford New Hampshire. I spent the majority of my summers on Lake Dunmore in Salisbury Vermont, about an hour south of Burlington. For three of my past summers I was hired by the Lake Dunmore/Fern Lake Association to join an elite aquatic attack force. A small crew was hired to hand pick Eurasian Watermilfoil, an aggressive invasive species. We worked full time to systematically find and harvest the plant using snorkel, and SCUBA equipment. It was a dirty job. Many times I thought of calling Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs, to have him do a segment on our work. We had to deal with mud, limited visibility, angry summer vacationers, and snapping turtles. It was still a great job. Looking back I cant really complain about working full time, in the sun, on the water with some good friends.

This past summer I detailed cars full time at The Vermont Auto Detail Center on Williston Road. I had been cleaning cars at this location on and off for three years, but working full time was a big responsibility. The work was for the most part extremely unpleasant, but the garage did have a nice stereo set up, so I could always blast music off of my computer. Toward the end of the summer I felt as though I had gone through my entire music catalog, and no longer wanted to hear anymore of it. Some days I would listen to NPR for a solid eight hours at a time.

I converted most of the money I earned this summer on seeing as much live music as possible. Five Phish shows in a row, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Primus, Weezer, MGMT, and countless other great bands downtown Burlington. I figured it was my first summer in Burlington, so I had better take advantage of it. Of all the music I saw, Edward Sharpe was probably my favorite.

Here is the band playing at NPR's Tiny Desk.



I am a senior majoring in Media Communications at Champlain College in Burlington, VT. I'm not too sure what I want to do when I graduate, but I am thinking that I would like to be working with a video production team. It would be great if I could do something close to music as well, but who knows? I'm taking everything in stride for the moment, waiting for the right opportunity for me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for introducing yourself here, Nate.

    Be sure to NUMBER your media meditations in your subject line, so I know which ones to read and give you credit for, yes?

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete